It can be easy to rush through life without stopping to notice much.
Paying more attention to the present moment – to your own thoughts and feelings, and to the world around you – can improve your mental wellbeing.
It is really simple to forget the world around us and lose touch with the way our physical bodies are feeling resulting in ”living in our heads”. It’s also not that difficult to get caught up in our thoughts and forget about our emotions and behaviour.
- Higher brain functioning;
- Increased immune function;
- Lowered blood pressure;
- Lowered heart rate;
- Increased awareness;
- Increased attention and focus;
- Increased clarity in thinking and perception;
- Lowered anxiety levels;
- Experience of being calm and internally still;
- Experience of feeling connected.
This is why it’s important to take a few moments in the day to relax and do nothing. Every week I will be posting one mindfulness technique to help guide anyone who wants to be part of this long living religious and secular tradition.
- This is called the ”Mindfulness body scan” -It is an easy way to get in touch with your feelings and relax. What you do is focus on every area in your body starting from the toes and moving to your head.It is to train your attention on each specific part for a moment and pay close attention to how you feel.
Try doing this for 10 minutes a day and slowly build up by 5 minutes until you reach 30. If you are like me and your attention span is very low I still encourage you to give it a go as it is worth while in the long run :).